Chisum High School Physics Syllabus
Teacher: Mr. Gerry Young
Room: Science 3
- In Physics, students conduct laboratory and field investigations, use scientific methods during investigations, and make informed decisions using critical thinking and scientific problem solving.
- Students study a variety of topics that include: laws of motion; changes within physical systems and conservation of energy and momentum; forces; thermodynamics; characteristics and behavior of waves; and atomic, nuclear, and quantum physics.
- Students who successfully complete Physics will acquire factual knowledge within a conceptual framework, practice experimental design and interpretation, work collaboratively with colleagues, and develop critical thinking skills
Required Materials/ Supplies
- Students are required to bring the following materials to class daily:
- Pens or Pencils – black or blue ink only
- Notebook Paper
- School issued or personal calculator
- Folder or notebook to hold papers and notes
- Policy followed as stated in Student Handbook
- Grades will consist of 50% daily and 50% Test.
- Minimum of 7 daily grades and 3 test grades per grade reporting period
- A Science Article Report will be due the 4th Thursday of each Six Weeks
- Daily grades that are 1 day late = 80% of possible grade
- Daily grades that are 2 days late = 0 for grade
- Chisum ISD has a homework policy that does not accept late work. Homework that is one day late will have 20 pts. deducted. Homework that is over one day late will not be accepted, and a grade of zero will be recorded.
- Extra Credit -------NONE
- Students may retest on most tests, except for six weeks tests and semester tests. Retests will only be available if students have no missing homework assignments; failure to complete even one assignment will forfeit the right to retest, so take homework seriously.
- The original test grade will be averaged with the retest grade for the adjusted grade. There will be only one chance to retest and it must be within three school days. For example, if the original test was on Tuesday, students have until Friday afternoon to retest. Students may only retest on one test per six weeks.
- Retest cannot be taken during regular class time. Students must retest before or after school, during CSI or Study hall.
Absentee/leave early policy
- Test must be taken the day they are administered, if absent on day of test then students will take upon first day returned.
- If student leaves early due to E-day, the student is required to take test earlier in the day or make other arrangements.
- If a project is due on an E-day, students must turn work in early or before they leave. Turning in the project the next day will be counted late.
- Homework that was assigned is also due on an E-day. Students must turn it in before they leave. If absent they will have the same amount of days missed to complete assignment.
Students are responsible for getting missed work. I, as the teacher, will not hunt students down to give out missed work.
Class Room Procedures
Class Room Rules
3 B’s for Me
- Be on Time
- Be Prepared
- Be Respectful
- Go the Restroom before entering my class
- Put back pack/purse on desk at front of room
- Turn in previous assignments in proper locations
- Have supplies at assigned seat
- Be in seat before tardy bell.
- Copy objective/warm up question in notebook
- Be ready to Listen and Learn
If you have any questions please feel free to email me or call me at the school.
Thank you, Gerry Young
By signing this, I (parent/student), am acknowledging I have read and I understand the requirements and expectations of this class.
Student signature: _______________________________________________________________
Parent signature: ________________________________________________________________